Well, it’s the middle of the night and I’m still thinking about my weekend I just spent at the CTN Animation Expo. It was really cool and gave me a lot to think about regarding my future career that I’m in the process of adjusting. Anyway, what better time to post another Character Design assignment.
This is a continuation of the Silhouette project from the previous week. Ryan mostly just changed the theme to “Sci-fi Necromancer” and had us change some of the ways we did the previous assignment to be more like how he wanted them done. For me, I spent too much time on the last one putting in fine details in the second stage of the assignment when we were adding white. He still wanted us to be focusing on the shapes and not so much on what they were.
Here are the silhouettes I started out with:
I liked the bottom left one the most so that’s what I decided to expand on, mostly because at this point it was the only one that I really couldn’t see that anything had been quite defined in so it presented the biggest challenge in making it into something. In the process of adding white inner elements, I also rotated it to find an angle that I liked the most:
Of these I liked the one on the top left the most and started filling in the details and defining actually what the shapes were:
And there it is, a Sci-fi Necromancer. Quite an interesting way to come up with a character design. It’s really not something I would have come up with right out of my head so it was a great exercise and something that would be good to add to my bag of tricks, especially when inspiration is hard to come by.