This is my senior project for my BYU Animation BFA. The project was to create the Cathedral in Amiens, France using 3D technology. This was built primarily in Houdini, with some early modeling in Maya. The final renders were composited in Nuke and the video was edited in After Effects. Continue reading “Amiens Cathedral: City of God” »
Today I turned in my final project for my Shader Programming class. The project was to take a picture and insert a CG model into it and “Shade” it (jargon for texturing and applying a surface material) so that it looks like it belongs in the scene.
So here’s a test. Don’t scroll down too soon, just look at the image below and see if you can tell which object in the scene isn’t real.
Ok, so can you tell what was inserted?
Continue reading “Houdini Shader Programming Final Project” »
For today’s school project that I’m posting, I thought I’d show something I did earlier in the semester in my Shader Programming class I modeled and shaded (textured) these raspberries in the program Houdini.
The term shading refers to texturing and defining the surface/shadow properties of objects. The purpose of this project was to make the fruit that we chose look as realistic as possible. I still have some tweaking to do on them because they are letting too much light through and there are some issues with the shadows on the leaves, but I’m happy with the direction they’re going. I’ll post an improved version when I get to it.
I just finished up my 3D visual effects class at BYU so I thought I’d post my projects from the class.
The first one is something that I’ve posted before as a previous version here. I’ve made some adjustments to it for the final, so I thought I’d post it again.
The second project is the final for the term. The assignment was to produce an effect in Houdini and composite it with a photo or video. I chose to add lightning to a photo and found that it was a challenge because there aren’t as many stock lightning simulations in Houdini as there are for fire, water or smoke. Through some investigation and help from my instructor I was able to come up with something that created nice lightning bolts. After that it was a matter of compositing it in a realistic manner. I’m super familiar with Photoshop, and while that’s not the ideal industry tool to use for such things, I found the animation features to work well for what I was trying to accomplish. Here it is:
So, this is how I’m staying busy this spring term.
Here’s a flame simulation I did for my 3D visual effects class at BYU. It’s supposed to be a Flare out of an Oil Refinery’s Stack. I’m pretty happy with the result. This is my first project in Houdini. The stack itself is pretty lame. It looks more like the cement wells the Morlocks lived in in the classic version of The Time Machine. I’ll have to fix that before I turn it in.