Raspberries

For today’s school project that I’m posting, I thought I’d show something I did earlier in the semester in my Shader Programming class I modeled and shaded (textured) these raspberries in the program Houdini.

The term shading refers to texturing and defining the surface/shadow properties of objects. The purpose of this project was to make the fruit that we chose look as realistic as possible. I still have some tweaking to do on them because they are letting too much light through and there are some issues with the shadows on the leaves, but I’m happy with the direction they’re going. I’ll post an improved version when I get to it.

Please like & share:

Character Design assignment 2 – Nature

For my second assignment in my character design class, we were to draw from nature and develop some sort of character based on rocks, trees or something else I can’t remember. Water maybe.

Anyway, when I was a kid, I remember driving down the Columbia Gorge on the Washington and Oregon border and looking at the cliff walls and seeing faces in them. Remembering this made me want to make some king of giant rock dude.

Here it is:

I was pretty happy with it, that is until I got to class and my instructor, Ryan Woodward, drew over it. Seeing where he took my initial design let me see how much more I need to work out my designs before I call them “done.”

Here is his draw over:

Obviously, I have a long way to go.

Please like & share:

Character Design Update

Well, it’s been a long time since I posted anything to my blog so I thought I’d get back on track. I’ve been plugging away at my animation classes here at BYU and have a lot of work to show. Instead of laying it all out there at once I thought it might be good to let it out a little at a time to give a better idea of how my semester has been going.

The first work that I’m going to post is from my Visual Development and Character Design class taught by Ryan Woodward. This project was to be considered a baseline so that we could gauge where we were at the beginning so that we can see growth. He gave us two pictures to base a character on, one was a hick, and the other was a barbarian girl. Here is what I came up with:

I’m happier with the Warrior Chick than the Hick, but it was a fun place to start. I’ll post more soon!

Please like & share: